Wednesday, October 31, 2012

On Halloween

Where I am, Halloween is nearly over. We never have much traffic. It is usually about 10 kids. I feel bad for all the kids who skip my house. We give out good stuff--full size candy bars. We tried giving out 1 pound Hershey bars one year, but that didn't increase our numbers. Then we tried giving out "Scarrots" (carrots in spooky bags), which only seemed to hurt our numbers. Note: not even vegan children want carrots for Halloween.

As a holiday, Halloween used to mean a lot to me. I loved the costumes and the macabre decorations. I really loved the candy. I still love the candy. But somewhere along the line, I didn't see it as important anymore. It probably happened when I had to start buying the candy.

A lot of Christian parents wonder if they should allow their children to dress up for Halloween. I don't think it's wrong, so long as the costumes are appropriate. Halloween as we practice it here in America is a cultural experience, not a religious one. People will go to a patriotic rally without ever questioning the morality of it, but Halloween throws them for a loop. I hope you had a safe and happy holiday. Pace yourself with the candy.

Here is a holiday light show for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment