Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Praying for Arnold

Like most boys in the '80's, I grew up watching Arnold Schwarzenegger films. His powerful physique was matched by his heavy Austrian accent. Whether he was playing the "bad guy" in Terminator, or the "good guy" in almost every other film, he exuded toughness. His menacing edge was blunted by comedic one-liners that often lightened the mood in otherwise dark and violent movies. I loved watching him punish the bad guys.

I have kept up with Arnold through the years, reading articles here and there. Thanks to the VCR, Arnold was a big part of my childhood. Having spent so much time with him in my formative years, I have thought of his as a friend. Of course, I realize that he doesn't know me, and in light of recent revelations, I realize now that I never knew him either.

Schwarzenegger was always larger than life. I viewed him as a hero. The characters he played always seemed to have a moral code, and I assumed that it was the same code I lived by. In hindsight, his characters lived by a "might-makes-right" code of ethics. You can hear that ethic echoed in most of his interviews. It's the will to power.

Over the years, I hoped that his marriage would last. I hoped that he and his bride would be able to navigate the dangerous waters of celebrity. After all, he was my friend. As silly as that may sound, I hurt for his wife and children. I hurt for the others he has dragged into this firestorm of shame and disgrace.

As I read the headlines, I am reminded of past interviews I have read. Interviews where he openly questioned the existence of God, and ridiculed those of faith. Read through biographies, old interviews, or other resources, and you will discover Schwarzenegger's self worship. He has been, and apparently still is, highly impressed with himself. To hear him tell it, he is the determinate shaping force in his life.

I wonder what he thinks of the shape of things now. He doesn't have the strength to heal this rift, but it can be healed. For that to happen, he will have to find a strength that he has yet to display--humility. The only hope for salvaging his family is for Arnold to find salvation. Schwarzenegger must humble himself, acknowledge God's existence, and seek God's forgiveness through Jesus Christ.

He is no different that anybody else. His sins are more visible only because there are dozens of individuals who dedicate their lives to ferreting out "the truth" of celebrity lives. Should a mob of unscrupulous investigators descend upon any one of us, terror would seize us. I don't write these words in order to condemn Arnold Schwarzenegger, but voice my hope for his redemption.

There is a lesson in this tragedy: we cannot hide sin indefinitely. It will always come out. It is always destructive. The season of pleasure sin promises is always followed a season of death. How many dreams were killed by this infidelity? How many hearts torn in two? These are questions that, most likely, went unasked ten years ago.

But these are questions we must ask daily. When temptation strikes, will we be prepared? Will we terminate temptation? Or will temptation terminate our dreams? We must be vigilant, watch, and pray because temptation has promised, "I'll be back!" Pray of the Schwarzenegger family. Pray for your family, too. May God open eyes to the greatness of his glory through this tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment