Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Thinking About Christmas

Christmas is rapidly approaching, and I have been trying to prepare for it.  I spent the day working my way through several Christmas quizzes, so that I could present one at church tonight.  It is interesting to see how much of what we think we know about the Christmas story is really drawn out of tradition not the Bible.

Manger scenes that have the angels, wise men, and shepherds all gathered around baby Jesus are inaccurate at best.  Joseph, Mary and baby Jesus are usually in a stable of sorts surrounded by animals, as well.  The Nativity scenes, although inaccurate, still have valid purpose.  They can function as a mnemonic device that helps us to aid in retelling the Christmas story.

As I sifted through quizzes and various articles, I was startled by how much about Christmas I just assumed.  I knew that most people don't believe December 25th is the actual date of Jesus' birth, but I never really thought to investigate the reason we celebrate it on the 25th.  I never realized (apart from those who don't celebrate Christmas) that there are individuals who oppose Christmas trees on "biblical grounds."  I've always just assumed having a Christmas tree was okay. 

The decorations, traditions, songs, and atmosphere surrounding Christmas is driven more by cultural influence and less by biblical reflection.  Although I'm not saying that it is a bad thing, it can be.  If we never examine our cultural traditions in light of Scripture, we might find ourselves living in opposition to God.  The Pharisees were a good example of such short-sightedness.  They invented a system of dedication (corban) which permitted them to use money that they were morally obligated to invest elsewhere, particularly upon there aged parents.  Jesus condemned such hypocrisy.

We don't want to become legalistic, however we can't just do whatever we want either.  There are general principles in Scripture that can guide us in making wise decisions.  Yet at the same time, there appears to be some areas of moral neutrality, as well.  In some areas, the Bible doesn't explicitly explain what is right or wrong.  We are left with a bit of ambiguity at points. 

So long as we don't violate the clear teaching of God's Word, ignore its certain principles, or sin against our consciences, then we have liberty in Christ.  We need to think through the things that we do to make certain that we are not violating God Word.  When we have approached theme thoughtfully, prayerfully, and carefully, then we have to move forward in faith.  If after careful, prayerful though, you decide you shouldn't have a Christmas tree, don't have one.  But don't judge someone else for coming to a different conclusion at the end of their search.

The question that has been nagging me all day is, "Why do I celebrate Christmas the way I do?"  Is it just cultural instinct? Do the things I do to celebrate Christmas have a deeper, more worshipful meaning?  How can I make every part of my Christmas celebration more intimately connected to Christ?  Are the symbolic values we assign to things like a tree or lights merely a sham meant to justify actions? 

I don't have the answer to all those questions, but I really want to know.  This Christmas, I'll gather with my family around a Christmas tree, and we'll exchange gifts.  We tell the Christmas story, and be reminded that a Savior has been born, who is Christ the Lord.  And we will seek to glorify God who has shown us his favor.  May your Christmas celebration be filled with joy and gratitude and some quite reflection on the meaning of Christmas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment