Thursday, December 30, 2010

A Plan for Improving One's Prayer Life

I am preparing for the coming new year by thinking through some changes I want to make in my life.  Although there are several areas I hope to improve in this year, there are two critical areas I plan on attacking this year.  Those two areas are my health (my weight in particular) and my prayer life.  While I have a vague notion as to how I will address my health issues, I'm not quite certain as to how I will approach that situation yet.  I'll have more to say about that issue in the days and weeks ahead.

However, I do have some idea how I plan on improving my prayer life.  I have been gathering resources for months (years), and I'm currently working on a plan to improve my prayer life during the current year.

First, I want to learn about more about prayer and how to pray more effectively.  I plan on reading The Complete Works of E. M. Bounds on Prayer.  I hope to read Isaac Watts' A Guide to Prayer this year too.

Next, I am working on a prayer calendar that will help pray through the church each month.  I am borrowing the system from Brian Croft from Practical Shepherding. You can view the article here.  I will also be praying daily for lost people that I know.

In addition, I am going to be working my way through other resources so that I am continually praying for missionaries at home and abroad, for the persecuted church, and for unbelievers.  One of the resources I will be using this year is the book, Operation World.  I will also be using the following websites to inform my prayer life: The Prayer Connection (NAMB); Prayer (IMB); Operation Bended Knee (KBC); and Voice of the Martyrs.

The final step in my plan is simply setting aside time each day to pray.  I want prayer to become an integral part of my life.

I plan on keeping you posted on my progress.  I hope that you will find these resources helpful, and I hope you will pray for me throughout the coming year.  May God bless you and keep you.

No comments:

Post a Comment