Monday, December 27, 2010

FAQs Mondays: What Do We Pray for in the Second Petition of the Lord's Prayer?

Last week we answered the question, "What do we pray for in the first petition of the Lord's Prayer?".  You can read that post here. Today we look at the second petition.

What do we pray for in the second petition of the Lord's Prayer?

In the second petition, which is, "Your kingdom come," (Matt. 6:10), we pray that God, by his grace, would make us able and willing to know, obey, and submit to his will in all things, as the angels do in heaven.  The psalms offer guidance.  Psalm 25:4-5 states, "Make me know your ways, O LORD; teach me your paths.  Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long."  Psalm 119:26 states, "When I told you of my ways, you answered me; teach me your statutes!"  Finally, Psalm 103:20-21 states, "Bless the LORD, O you his angels, you might ones who do his word, obeying the voice of his word!  Bless the LORD, all his hosts, his ministers, who do his will!"

Summary

We learn that the second petition is for God to make us willing and able to do his will.  The Lord's Prayer is teaching us how to conform to the will of God.  Thus, if we pray this way, we will find our hearts turned in a more toward God.  Next week, we look at the third petition as we answer the question, "What do we pray for in the third petition of the Lord's Prayer?".

No comments:

Post a Comment