Thursday, September 3, 2009

Be Thou My Vision

With our fall revival approaching, I have been thinking about what revival would look like. Should God be pleased to revive us during these extended services (and I pray he is), what will that "revival" look like? I cannot say with specificity, but I believe a genuine revival brings renewed emphasis on the gospel, a renewed atmosphere of humility and service, a renewed spirit of dependence upon the Lord, and a renewed desire to see Christ exalted through our lives. I heard the hymn, "Be Thou My Vision," today, and I began praying its rich truths for my life. The words are:

Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that thou art:
Thou my best thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, they presence my light.

Be thou my wisdom, and thou my true word;
I ever with thee and thou with me Lord:
Thou my great Father, I thy true son,
Thou in me dwelling, and I with thee one.

Riches I heed not, or man's empty praise;
Thou mine inheritance, now and always:
Thou and thou only, first in my heart,
High King of heaven, my treasure thou art.

High King of heaven, my victory won,
May I reach heaven's joys, O bright heav'n's Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my vision, O Ruler of all.

Father, be our vision, be our wisdom, and our true word. Grant us the ability to walk in obedience to your Word, and to accomplish the call you have placed on our church's life. To you be the glory.

I pray that in the days ahead the God, through Christ, will become my all consuming vision, that I will seek his glory first and foremost, and that I will walk in humble submission to his Word. Revival services begin at Monticello Baptist Church (Butler County, KY) Sunday, September 6th, 2009 during the 11:00 am service. Services will be held nightly at 7:00 pm through Wednesday, September 9th. A humble servant of the Lord and good friend of mine, Keith McWhorter, will bring the messages. I am anticipating fruit from these meetings in the days, weeks, and months ahead. Please, pray with us that these services would serve as an awakening and a renewal, and that God would be glorified in us.

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to know that there are still people who have a vision such as yours.

    ReplyDelete