Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Our Daily Bread

"Two things I ask of you; deny them not to me before I die: Remove far from me falsehood and lying; give me neither poverty or riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me, lest I be full and deny you and say, "Who is the Lord?" or lest I be poor and steal and profane the name of my God" (Prov. 30:7-9).

Proverbs 30 records the words of Agur the son of Jakeh. This passage records his simple, sincere prayer for God's deliverance and provision. This is the prayer of one seeking contentment in God. The two requests are not self-centered, wasteful requests, but requests the reflect the very heart of God.

The context of this prayer suggests that two requests are that he experience neither poverty nor riches. Wealth can be very deceptive, as can poverty. He expressed desire that falsehood and lying be removed far from him reveals his keen insight into his own heart. He knows that he can be easily led into sin. If he has too much, his heart will lead him to deny the Lord saying, "Who is the Lord?". If he has too little, his heart will lead him to steal, and thus, profane the Lord' s name. Either way he knows he would face the temptation to dishonor God, and humbly seeks the Lord's intervention.

His prayer centers on the glory of God. His concern isn't with himself as much as it is with God's honor. No matter which way he sins, it is God who is dishonored. The only solution he sees out of this dilemma is for the Lord to give him only "the food that is needful." This passage always reminds me of the request in the Lord's Prayer, "give us this day our daily bread" (Matt. 6:11). Just as Agur asked for what is needful, so to Christ called his disciples to seek only what was necessary for the day. This kind of prayer, and the live from which it springs, reflects a total dependance upon God. It also reflects a heart that desires God's glory above its own comfort. May we become the kind of people who earnestly pray this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment