Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Gift of Presence

I think most of us have a innate desire to be helpful. We want to do something. We want to contribute, and for the most part, that desire is a good thing. However, there are times when we don't know what to do. Usually, that lack of knowing what to do leaves us feeling worthless and useless.I have had this experience on numerous occasions. Often, I feel this way when visiting the funeral home. I want to be able to ease the pain of the grieving family with some word of wisdom, but I am painfully aware that at such times words are usually forgotten. I realize that very little can ease the initial shock and pain of the bereft. Just being there is one of the most effective ways to comfort someone.

In a "do something" kind of world the ministry of presence is often undervalued and avoided. We want to be there as long as we can do something, or say something, yet we feel awkward or useless just standing there. When my mind replays the events surrounding Ellie's funeral, I rarely remember the words spoken, but I do remember the faces. I remember the people who came. I remember thinking that they really cared for us, because they were there. I didn't need them to say anything or do anything. We often think about the ministry of presence in relation to grief. We go in a time of need to be with one we love. However, we need to see that the ministry of presence was meant to be practiced more widely.

For this reason, I encourage our adults to come out to VBS. Each welcoming smile drives the gospel further home. It gives us the opportunity to establish relationships with the children that may some day by used of God to draw them into the kingdom and the community of faith. Everyone's presence is important. Sometimes, our presence is more important than our words. They may not remember what we said, but they will remember that we made them feel loved and welcome. In that way, we reflect Christ's love.

Presence also provides further opportunity to share the gospel. When children that don't attend church regularily, but who come to VBS make connections with workers, helpers, and other church members it often has lasting effects. Former VBS attenders may approach a teacher or helper in a store and introduce them to their parents. Some children are so impressed with their experience they go home and pursade their parents to visit the church. The reality is that everyone counts. You never know how the Lord will use something as simple as a smile or a pat on the back. But, we have to be there to be used of God.

I want to thank everyone for their hard work and prayers. I also want to thank you all for the gift of your presence. May God work mightly through this VBS.

No comments:

Post a Comment