Saturday, January 3, 2009

One I Wished I Had Finished Last Year

I have been trying to work my way through a large stack of books since April. However, books that need reading have a way of multiplying. I have made it about half way through my stack of books, but I have been generating a list of new books to get (and read) for 2009. As Solomon once said, "Of the making of many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh" (Eccl. 12:12, ESV). There are more books produced in a year than any person can read, so we have to set priorities. In order to finish as many as possible, I read several at a time; sometimes just a few pages at a time from each one. Usually, the one that is most relevant to me at the moment gets finished first.

One of the books I have been working on recently is the book How People Change. I wish I would have taken the time to sit down and work through this book within a few days. How People Change is of the class of book that requires multiple readings. One would benefit from sitting down one day and trying to read it through from cover to cover to get the general structure. Then it would be wise to work through the material very slowly. The book is full of rich biblical truth, and needs careful study. Finally, after careful study and application, it would be wise to set aside another day to reread through the book again. It is on a very short list of books I plan to reread in 2009.

How People Change, by Timothy S. Lane and Paul David Tripp, sets forth the biblical principles for living a gospel centered life. The book is about who we are in Christ, and how to live in light of the gospel. I plan to review it more fully after I have reread it. The truths presented in this work are crucial to living an effective and productive Christian life. It is worth the effort to get this book and read and reread it.

No comments:

Post a Comment