Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A Pleasant Reminder

Have you ever felt like a complete and utter failure? Does it ever feel like your life has been wasted? Do you ever wonder if God has washed his hands of you? Although it pains me to say it, I wrestle these feelings more often than I care to admit. Feelings are funny things. Although they are real in the sense that we genuinely feel them, they don't always express reality. For example, you could be sitting a crowded room surrounded by friends, and still feel lonely. You "feel" all alone, but that isn't actually the case.

We don't always perceive our value. God has demonstrated his love toward us; it is unquestionable (see Rom. 5:6-10). Yet we don't always feel loved. I was recently reminded of God's love again. A few days ago, I drove passed an apartment complex where I used to hangout before I came to know the Lord. In fact, it was a place where one of the darkest moments of my life occurred. I'm convinced that I came close to dying one night in the parking lot of that apartment complex. I don't remember what that complex used to be called, but as I past I noticed a sign that said, "Providence Place."

I have known for a long time that God brought me through that destructive phase of my life, but I could help but marvel at that sign. There was literally a sign marking the spot where providence had spared my life. I don't want to read to much into it, but I find it intriguing. The sign, although not made for me or with me in mind, was used by God to confirm, once more, his unquestionable love for me.

It felt like he was saying, "I wasn't through with you then and there, and I'm not through with you here and now." But the truth is I don't need a sign. I have the Scripture. Paul said, "For God's gifts and his call are irrevocable" (Rom. 11:29). If they are irrevocable for Israel, even in their rebellion, how can they be revoked from us whom the Spirit has made alive? Paul also said,
Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through him! For if, when we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life! Not only is this so, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we now received reconciliation (Rom. 5:9-11).
 That sign reminded me of the truth from a truer source. Seeing the "Providence Place" sign was like a catalyst. It caused me to retrace the steps of my journey, but this time I didn't focus on all of my missteps. This time I focused on the unseen hand of God that brought out of the darkness and into the light. Instead of feeling the shame of my past, I saw the love of God. The love that rescued me then hasn't lost any of its potency.

If you feeling down, I hope that you recognize the signs of God's love that are surrounding you at this moment. If you look closely enough, you will find God's fingerprints all over you life. He has loved and will continue to love you with an everlasting love. You may not feel it, but it doesn't mean his love is not real. Anchor yourself in the truth of his Word, and you'll weather your stormy feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment