Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Hymns: "Come, Ye Sinners, Poor and Needy"

Music is a powerful medium.  There is something about music that reaches down deep within the inner man and penetrates the impenetrable. When words are combined with music, two powerful elements are combined into a  synergistic force.  Music impresses the message, like a signet ring in melted wax, upon heart, mind, and soul.

It is no wonder then why humanity has combined words and music since the beginning.  A lie set to music can ravage the soul, and by extension, a society.  Truth set to music can build up the soul, and by extension, a society.  Although what I am saying is not unique to the church, I want to focus on it from a Christian perspective.  Hymns, psalms, and spiritual songs should play a vital role in the life of a believer and in the life of the church.

I say these things in order to explain both my previous "hymn" entries and my future practice of posting hymns and other songs here.  I don't want to get into the habit of slapping a video up here and thinking I'm done.  The songs I select are songs that resonate with me.  They speak to some need in my life and keep directing me back to Jesus.  They expand my heart with visions of his greatness and teach my lips to praise his holy name.  They discipline my mind to think more biblically, more worshipfully.  I hope they will do the same for you.

Here is this week's song: "Come, Ye Sinners, Poor and Needy" or "I Will Arise and Go to Jesus." My favorite version is performed by Ruut Sallinen. However, I couldn't find a video of that version.  I hope you enjoy this one:

No comments:

Post a Comment