Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Hymns: "Before the Throne of God Above"

"My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin.  But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.  He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world" (1 John 2:1-2, ESV).

It is easy to forget that the believer is in a continual state of war, until our enemies--the flesh, the world, and the devil--hand us a thorough beat down.  With our guard down, the enemy can easily slip in and plant seeds of disobedience in our hearts, which quickly germinate in the the flesh's fertile soil.  Once the desire is conceived, it gives birth to sin, and when sin grows it leads to death (see James 1:15).  The careless believer is left wounded, and open to further predation.  Our enemy preys upon the weak.

There are many places in the New Testament in which we are warned to keep watch (Luke 21:36; Acts 20:31; Col. 4:2; 1 Thes. 5:6-8; Titus 2:11-12; 1 Pet. 1:13, 4:7, 5:8; 2 Pet. 1:6; etc.).  It is easy for the spiritually wounded to give in to despair.  It is easy to think, "I sinned, now God will not accept me."  However, John informs us that this is not the case.  It is true that God desires that we do not sin, but it is equally true that we have an advocate before the Father, Jesus our Lord.

I have found the song, "Before the Throne of God Above," to be a soothing reminder of the truth taught in 1 John 2:1-2.  The words, penned by Charitie Lees Bancroft (and Vikki Cook), state:

Before the throne of God above
I have a strong and perfect plea;
A great high priest whose name is Love,
Who ever lives and pleads for me.
My name is graven on His hands,
My name is written in His heart.
I know that while in heav'n He stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart,
No tongue can bid me thence depart.

When Satan tempts me to despair
And tells me of my guilt within,
Upward I look and see Him there
Who made an end to all my sin.
Because the sinless Savior died
My sinful soul is counted free;
For God the just is satisfied
To look on him and pardon me,
To look on him and pardon me.

Behold Him there, the risen Lamb,
My perfect spotless righteousness,
The great unchangeable I AM,
The King of glory and of grace.
One with Himself I cannot die;
My soul is purchased by His blood.
My life is hid with Christ on high,
With Christ my Savior and my God,
With Christ my Savior and my God!

Here is a video to encourage you:

No comments:

Post a Comment