Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Benefits of Friendship

"Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up.  But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!" (Eccl. 4:9-10).

As in all Scripture, there is much truth in these verses.  Solomon is here lamenting the foolishness of friendlessness.  It is a sad thing to have no friends.  A person without friends is not only destined for loneliness, but grief.  Their life lacks the joy of socialization. 

Solomon says, two make quicker work of a job with half of the energy spent.  He goes on to say, "If you fall in a pit and no one is there to help you, you're stuck.  However, if you have someone there, rescue is more likely.

I have walked the path of the loner.  Throughout much of my youth, I didn't have a lot of friends.  I was well acquainted with several people, we talked at school, we had some of the same interests, but I never really entrusted myself to them.  I was always afraid of being betrayed or getting hurt.   I'm not saying I didn't have friends I could trust.  I did, but not many of them.


Solomon says that isolation tends toward self-destruction, not self-preservation.  Pride often keeps us cut off from others, because we fear how they will perceive us.  We fear their judgment more than we value their friendship.

Friendship is a gamble, but it is a glorious one.  When you venture out into the world you have the chance to know and be known in a way binds you to others.  You get the opportunity to enjoy a fabulous meal with good company (which foreshadows heaven).  You get to share your load with others.  And yes, you risk the dangers of betrayal and pain, but what you gain in the bargain is worth the risk.

I grateful for the friends with whom Jesus has blessed me.  What about you?  Have you found some really good friends that you count on?  Or have you tried to protect yourself from the potential heartache friendships might bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment