Monday, January 4, 2016

Reading Challenge 2016

According to Pew Research Center, "As of January 2014, some 76% of American adults ages 18 and older said that they read at least one book in the past year." In that same year, half of the people polled had read more than five books, the other half had read fewer than five books. I would guess there hasn't been much change in the last year. How many books did you read in 2015? One? Two?Five? Ten? Zero? 

Reading is important. It is a powerful tool for growth. Mark Twain supposedly said, "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them." But reading, like many other things, requires that one develops a taste for it. There was a time in my childhood where I hated reading, then I loved it, then I cooled towards it. It wasn't until after I came to Christ that I began reading again. It took awhile for the love of reading to kick in. Now, I really enjoy reading. 

According to Goodreads, I read 53 books last year. I may have read more than that, but I'm terrible at keeping track of what I have read. I didn't include commentaries or devotions in the count in 2015. Many of the titles are actually books I read to Sophia at bedtime. I rarely have a plan, I read what catches my attention or has been recommended by someone I respect.

This year, I decided I need a plan. There was a 26 book challenge floating around last year that I really considered, but never got around to it. I was revisiting it when Tim Challies, a blogger I follow, issued his 2016 Reading Challenge. It is a challenge broken up into 4 categories: light, avid, committed, and obsessed. If a person makes it through the obsessed list, they will have read 104 books in 2016. I'm hoping to complete the challenge. I at least want to make it through the light and avid sections (13 books each), that is about two books every week.

The thought of reading a 104 books in 2016 might make your brain hurt. So my challenge to you is to set your own goal. How many books did you read last year? If you read one book last year, why not aim for two this year? If you read five books, try to read ten. If you didn't read a single book last year, why not aim to read one book this year. I would challenge you to read at least one book in addition to reading your Bible this year. I plan to offer recommendations in the weeks and months to come.

Are you willing to read more this year than last year? Here are a few quick tips.

1. Pick a format that works best for you. Do you have a long drive to work? Try an audio book. Do you have a tablet? Try reading an ebook. Don't like gadgets? Get a print book.

2. Start of with a shorter book. Should you decide this is the year you are going to read the classics, fantastic. However, avoid starting with War & Peace. Look for a book with few than 300 pages (not counting the end notes and other material--you can skip this stuff). Skip introductions about the book not written by the author. I attempted to read Frankenstein several years ago, and gave up because I had to slog through 80 pages of introduction by an expert. Later, I picked it up again, only this time I started where Mary Shelley did. It was quite enjoyable.

3. Read a little bit each day. You don't have to block out an hour of your time each day to be a reader. Set a side 15 minutes or read 10 pages or a chapter--whatever works best for your schedule. Pack a book with you wherever you go, so you can make the most of down time (lines, doctor's office, etc.).

4. Pick a book that really interests you. This may seem unimportant, but you will most likely finish a book that you want to read. If you start a book and it bores you, put it down and get a different book. Your third grade teacher may not approve, but it's okay. Don't waste time on boring books.

5. Don't break the bank. I love books and bookstores. I can spend hours in a bookstore, and I'm always adding to my library. But you don't have to build your own library (if you don't want to or can't afford to). There is a magical place that will let you borrow books of various kinds--it's called a library (I know you probably knew that). Most libraries will even help you get books that they don't physically possess, either by inter-library loan or by purchase. If you don't have a library card, get one and wear it out. The library is also a great way to encourage daily reading. When you check out a book you have to have it back on a certain day--use that as a deadline to drive your reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment