Friday, January 1, 2016

Applying the Gospel in the New Year

It has been nearly a year of radio silence, or should I say blogging silence. A lot happened in 2015, much of it was wonderful: we finalized Gloria's adoption, I turned 40, and I became a doctor (of Education). Some of it was not wonderful: I have wrestled with diabetes, my contract at adult ed. wasn't renewed, and I got the flu. Throughout the year I found my resolved tested, and at times, I wasn't sure I would make it through, but by the grace of God, I have begun a new year.

Writing has always been a dream of mine, but somewhere in the back of my mind I didn't believe I had what it takes to be a writer. Having completed a doctoral thesis, I now know what I was lacking--perseverance. This blog got placed on a shelf as I did the hard work of writing my thesis and wrestling with my own insecurities.

During my course work at seminary, they called it "impostor syndrome." I think most people feel it no matter what they are doing: writing, studying, working, parenting, etc. It's a nagging voice somewhere deep inside that says, "You don't belong here. You don't have anything to contribute. If you don't turn back now, they will all know you're a fraud." Maybe you have felt that way. Maybe the voice you hear is meaner. Maybe it wants you to believe you don't have the right to enjoy your life.

But have you ever stopped to consider that the voice is wrong? The Bible teaches that every human being is created in the image of God (it also teaches that the image is marred because the presence of sin in the human heart, but that is a post for another day). Because we are image bearers, we all have something to offer. Whatever knowledge, experience, or skill set you possess, you are uniquely fitted to transform the environment in which you find yourself.

While you may be painfully aware of every one of your weaknesses and limitations, you must also become aware of your abilities, talents, strengths, and gifts. While it is not impossible to live a life of purpose without being aware God, it is certainly much more difficult. It is also much more dangerous because you might live your life for the wrong purpose.

The best way to combat that accusing voice is to apply the gospel. Humanity was made to be different, to live in communion with God, but sinned broke that relationship. All human beings are guilty of sin, and we feel it, even when we don't know how to express it, explain it, or even if we don't believe it. It manifests itself as guilt, shame, feelings of inferiority, feelings of superiority, pride, prejudice, and so on. God in his mercy sent his Son, Jesus to become like us, and to give his life as an offering for ours. He paid our penalty, so that we might share in his righteousness. Through that gift, God calls everyone everywhere to repent of their sin and believe in Jesus Christ. To accept his death and resurrection as the solution for our sin.

What does it look like to apply the gospel? Imagine the voice returns to you and says, "You don't belong." You can say, "Nothing can separate us from the love of Christ (see Rom. 8:31-39)." The voice tells you, "You're a failure!" You can say, "I have an advocate with the Father, Christ Jesus the Righteous (See 1 John 2:1-2)." The voice screams, "Nobody loves you." You can say, "But God shows his love to us in that while we were sinners Christ died for us (Rom. 5:8)."

If you are trusting Christ as the sole source of your righteousness with God, then you belong, and nothing can change that. To that end, I invite you to join me in the coming year as I renew my commitment to this project. I don't assume I have all the answers, but I want to share what I'm learning. The articles that I post will center on the things that view as most important: the gospel, the Bible, discipleship, family (marriage and parenting), and more. There will be several changes coming this blog in the weeks and months ahead. I hope you join me on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment