Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Lamp and a Light

"Your word is a lamp for my feet, and a light on my path" (Psalm 119:105, HCSB).

I have been trying to cultivate a greater desire for the Word of God in my life.  The more I think about it the more I realize how much I need the Scripture to guide me.  In this verse the Psalmist implies that he is surrounded by darkness.  He needs a lamp and a light to guide his steps.  He couldn't see to make his way forward without the Word of God.

Not much has changed in the world since the Psalmist wrote these words.  There is still a moral darkness hanging over humanity.  We each continue to go astray and turn to his own way.  We all still miss the mark.  We still need the same lamp to guide our feet.

The Word of God leads us through the darkness, by illuminating our pathway.  Therefore, we need have it near us always, and consult it regularly.  One of the best ways to do that is to begin a Bible reading plan.  There are many plans available.  Justin Taylor posted several on his blog, Between Two Worlds.  You can view them here.  The list contains several excellent reading plans, including the two I mentioned at church (Grant Horner's plan consisting of 10 chapters a day, and James Grey's How to Master the English Bible).  I encourage to you check out the list, and select a reading plan that you find useful.  There are also special Bibles that have the Scriptures divided up into 365 daily readings.

No comments:

Post a Comment