Friday, January 21, 2011

Do Something for God

While reading Isaac Watt's, A Guide to Prayer, I came across this quote:
"I am at last convinced that it is better for me to do something for God, though it be imperfect, than to be guilty of perpetual delays in hopes of better pleasing myself" (pg. 5).
He was speaking about his book.  He felt that it need more polishing, but realized that he might never get around to it. As I read the quote, I thought of all the things I have put off finishing, because I couldn't make them perfect.

I wonder how many people wrestle with this kind of thinking. I tempted to say that most, if not all, the procrastinators I know fall into this category. Most of them are gifted, creative people, but they are also critical of their own work. Many of them are never satisfied with their own work, no matter what anyone else says.

How much different would our lives be, if we could grasp the full meaning of Watt's words. It is better to do something that is imperfect, than to do nothing while waiting for perfection. Maybe there is something you have been putting off for a while, because you thought you couldn't do it good enough. Maybe you should take the plunge and do it.

It is time to stop waiting for the right time, and the right words. In faith, seize the moment and say it in the best way you know how. Don't put it off in hopes of pleasing yourself, because your delays are displeasing to God. Take the risk, and you might just find that others will benefit from your work.

No comments:

Post a Comment