Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Thank God There Is No Rewind Button on Life

Have you ever wished there was a rewind button in life?  You might be thinking of a particular day at this very moment.  You might even be tempted to think that pressing the rewind button would give you a fresh start.  However, pressing the rewind button would only give you the opportunity to mess up again.

The better approach to life is to find the reset attitude button and to push it frequently.  We don't need to the opportunity to avoid mistakes.  We need the ability to learn from those mistakes.

This past weekend, I made a comment about being glad when the weekend would be over, to which a neighbor said, "You're wishing your life away."  Those words have played upon my mind for days.

This morning we had a couple of unforeseen, and somewhat unpleasant, events happen.  As the dust began to settle, I said, "I wish I could hit the rewind button."  I let the words fly from my lips like an arrow without much thought.  Yet, latter I found that these words also represent a "wishing away."

I was wishing away a providence I didn't deem wise or caring.  I was wishing away the opportunity to grow in mercy and compassion.  I was wishing away an opportunity to serve. 

Events that make us want to rewind the clock can teach us many things.  First, and foremost, plan wisely and stick to the plan.  It takes discipline, but it also eliminates many of the mistakes we wish we would not have made.  Secondly, give thought to your words, and password protect your mouth.  Don't give free reign to your tongue, it will only come back to bite you.  Thirdly, don't waste your life wallowing in regret, repent and move on.  Life is too short to waste it looking back on mistakes.  Christ is gracious and invites you to come to him and find cleansing.  Fourthly, God allows it to rain on the just and unjust.  Stuff happens, learn to praise him in the midst of it.  Finally, God is infinitely trustworthy, cling to him. 

If we keep these lessons in mind, we will find it gets easier to reset our attitudes.  When life comes at you, you have the choice in how you will respond.  You can let it beat you down or you can let it make you wiser, stronger, and more effective.  Stop reaching for the rewind button, and thank God he is in control.

No comments:

Post a Comment