Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Abide

In John 15:5, Jesus tells us, "I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing." I don't know when I read those words for the first time, but over the years I have encountered them on multiple occasions.

I studied that verse over ten years ago when I first went through Henry Blackaby's Experiencing God. You would think that by now, I would have mastered the meaning of this verse. But the funny thing about time is that it all depends on how you use it. If I had spent the last several years meditating upon the truth of John 15:5 and if I had spent the last several years applying it, it would have shaped my ministry.

Instead, I have neglected this truth. I got busy. I thought I had enough training, enough experience to handle the less important stuff. I ran headlong into processes and projects because I thought I could really do something. Abiding didn't factor into my thinking.

I thought, "I can't do everything, but I can do something." It would have been wiser to listen to Jesus, "For apart from me you can do nothing." The frustration and fruitlessness of my life is not due to the Lord's inability, but my lack of abiding. Had I focused more on the abiding and less on the doing, my abiding in him and his abiding in me would have naturally bore fruit.

I can do nothing. It sounds discouraging when you first hear it, but it really is liberating. But Jesus isn't saying we won't accomplish anything in this life. He is saying that without him our lives will not produce fruit or achieve our God given purpose.

Paul echoes Jesus' meaning when he states, "I can do all things through [Christ] who strengthens me" (Phil. 4:13). We must begin with the knowledge that we can do nothing apart from Christ, in order to live in the truth of Philippians 4:13.

If we are not careful, pride will trick us into wasting time on fruitless labor. In humility, we must come to God with empty hands. As Jesus said, "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

In humility, we abide in Christ. Abide in Christ means that we live in him. We commune with him in prayer and Bible study. We meditate upon his Word and work. We walk in his footsteps. When we abide, we bear fruit.

Friends, don't tuck John 15:5 away for another day. Dwell on it. Let its truth sink in until it seeps into the very marrow of your soul. Let it encourage you. Let it challenge you. Let it bring you into rest. Jesus calls you to abide and promises to produce fruit in you, so abide.

No comments:

Post a Comment