Monday, September 12, 2011

FAQs Mondays: "How Do We Keep from Ruining Our Life?

I had hope to dedicate the next few weeks of this series to answering questions from readers. However, I haven't had any questions submitted to me.

No questions could mean several things. It could mean that none of my readers have any theological or ethic questions on their minds. It could mean people feel uncomfortable asking the questions that bother them. It could mean I don't have any readers.

I'm going to operate under the assumption (I know it's dangerous) that I have readers. I'll even assume that they have questions, but just don't know how to ask them. With these two assumptions, I will seek to answer questions I think readers might have, and hope that these answers help. 

Let me offer this question: "How do I keep my life from being ruined?"

The easy answer to this question is don't do foolish stuff. Most of us learn early enough that it is dangerous to stick a fork in an outlet. Those of us who are slower than average learn that lesson the hard way. One's knowledge of potential danger is not always enough to prevent the kind of curiosity that kills the cat, so to speak.

In truth, this question is simple to answer, but the answer isn't simple to follow. There are two ways to live one's life. There is the way of God and the way of self. Proverbs 14:12 states, "There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death." God's way is only right way. All other ways only seem right. God's way leads to life. All other ways lead to death.

The old expression, "an once of prevention is worth a pound of cure," works in this situation. If one wants to prevent the ruin of ones life, it is best done before life begins to slide downhill. If our desires were informed and shaped by the Word of God, we might find ourselves facing fewer difficult choices.

The problem is embedded in human nature. People are born into this world turned away from God. Mankind seeks its own way apart from God.

The farther away from God we travel, the greater our risk for ruin becomes. All of the things we hope to gain from our rebellion--freedom, happiness, satisfaction, are lost in the pursuit. I'm not suggesting that sin isn't fun or enjoyable. I'm not saying there aren't deep emotions involved. But the truth is few, if any, took their first drink with the goal of becoming an alcoholic, and no new bride to be selects their potential mate on the hopes of getting divorced.

We often make choices without asking the right question. The right question is "What does God say?" Too often, people grope around life like a blind squirrel in search of an acorn in a gravel drive way.  They bite rock after rock, but never ask God to open their eyes.

If we start with God's perspective, we can avoid a ruined life. This doesn't mean life will be easy. Pain and suffering are often woven into the tapestries of our life. After all, who would notice the silver lining if there weren't clouds.

Jesus calls us to follow him. He said the way is narrow. It may be difficult, but we don't travel it alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment